Sunday, 6 April 2014

Inside the March Powder Pocket

The box comes with a little and very useful magazine, in which all the products in the box are described and explained.

I finally received my first box from the Powder Pocket, yay! Powder Pocket is a relatively new beauty subscription service based in Ireland — the first box was launched in December 2013.

I'm such a sucker for pretty packaging...
This is my first ever subscription box, so I was extremely excited to see what's inside it. It came so beautifully packed that I was trying to be very careful not to rip it. I hope they pack the boxes themselves and are not enslaving poor house-elves to do the dirty job!! (I hope you read Harry Potter to understand this haha)

I've previously looked into subscription boxes and the best ones that really appealed to me are all based in the USA. :( So after a bit of searching, I found the Powder Pocket. I saw the contents on various Irish blogs from the previous boxes and was very intrigued.

The price isn't outrageous either; it's €12 (plus p&p) per month and you get five beauty samples, including at least one full-sized product. To me, this sounds like a great deal. I like the idea of sampling products before buying them, so if they come beautifully wrapped in pretty boxes and are sent to me every month, I'm not complaining!
You can also choose to sign up for the 6 month plan for €60 (plus p&p), which includes one free box, and a 12 month plan €120 (plus p&p) which includes two complimentary boxes. I chose the six month plan, and with the p&p, it totalled €78.

Now after this lengthy introduction, I guess I should finally list all the products inside the box:

The box includes a full-size pack of WaterWipes, 8ml Ghost Perfume, 4g Shiseido Lipstick in BE310, 8g Ginvera BB Cream and Lavera Body and Hair & Body Wash.



Let's start with the biggest product — the WaterWipes. These sensitive make-up removal wipes are alcohol-free, fragrance-free, lanolin-free, perfume-free and colourant-free! This is a verrrrry big plus for me because my skin is extremely sensitive and gets irritated so easily. Currently I don't use any make-up removal wipes, because I found that coconut oil is an amazing make-up remover. But because the WaterWipes are so mild, I won't mind trying them out and compare them to my favourite coco.
The WaterWipes are available to purchase in pharmacies/health stores nationwide, as well as Tesco, Dunnes, SuperValu and Superquinn, and cost €3.49 (the packet includes 20wipes).


Shiseido Perfect Rouge lipstick in Dune(BE 310):
Now when I saw this red little box, my first thought was "nooo, not another red lipstick, I've so many!", but when I opened it, I was genuinely surprised and somewhat relieved. It was a brown/nude colour and I instantly fell in love with it. The colour reminded me of the brown lipsticks that my mom used to wear when I was little. She never wore any red or pink, it was always darker or lighter browns, and she rocked them! I still have to show this one to her and see what she thinks.
The lipstick claims to give a silky radiance and rich colour finish and promises to treat dry or damaged lips. This is exactly what I need because my lips are always so dry. I have tried so many lip balms and none have been able to give me lovely lips, so I can't really wear any matte lipstick, because my lips look dry and disgusting. So I'm very excited to try this and see how hydrating it is.
The full size lipstick costs €27.

Ghost the Fragrance:
Now when it comes to fragrances, I wouldn't want to get them in a box of samples. I would much rather go into Boots and spend a half hour trying dozens of different perfumes until I find one that really smells nice. Anyway, I usually prefer fruity than floral fragrances(my all-time favourite is , but I found this perfume to smell quite lovely.
The perfume has the top notes of Rose and Jasmine, middle notes of  Amber, Vanilla and Peach and the base notes of Sandalwood and Musk.
The full size RRP from €34 for 30ml and €50 for 50ml.



Ginvera Green Tea BB Cream:
I love BB creams. Honestly, the best BB cream I've tried to date is Clearing Petit BB cream from HolikaHolika. It's ridiculously cheap and it gives the best coverage for a BB cream and it's meant to help clear acne prone skin. However Asian BB creams leave a white/grey cast on my skin, so I feel that they can only be worn in winter, when I'm pale anyway. 
Now this BB cream claims to provide the benefits of blemish free concealing, sun block effects, moisturising and reduction of lines, as well as providing a long lasting smooth and light feel to nourish and perfect your skin. 
It claims to be suitable for all skin types and is colour-adaptable.
The full-size RRP is from €21 for 25ml, and personally I feel that is very expensive for a BB cream. Unless it's a miracle product, I will have to try it and see!



And the last sample in the box is Lavera Hair and Body Wash. I've never tried Lavera products before and I'd be interested in trying more natural product lines that don't include harsh chemicals.
Now before buying shampoos, conditioners, shower gels, etc. I always open the bottle to sniff what's inside. If it smells funky, I put it back and never look back! When I opened this, I literally stood there sniffing it for about five minutes. That smell, good lord. It smells just like lemon poppyseed cake, and I LOVE LEMON POPPYSEED CAKE haha. I don't care if this wash is good or not, I will sooo buy it just to sniff it once in a while (am I a citrus scent addict?! send help!!).
This hair and body wash is certified organic and doesn't contain any parabens or harsh ingredients, which is great! I'm very intrigued to use this on my hair and see if this stuff leaves my hair dry, as most organic and "healthy" shampoos do, because my hair is fried!
The full-size bottle (200ml) costs €6.42, which is a little pricey, considering that you can get shower gels for about 2-3 euro in Boots...but that smell though!

So that's it. These are all five beauty products from the March Powder Pocket box. As this was my first subscription box, I was fairly pleased with it (bar the perfume sample, I suppose) and feel that it was worth the money. I cannot wait to properly try these all out, and consequently fully review the products. I will soon post an update on the reviews, but until then, excuse me while I'll go sniff the Lavera Body Wash and dream of lemon poppyseed cakes. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment